Sunday 12 April 2015

The light of the world is Jesus

This morning, my wife and I started reading the Gospel of John together. Besides reading about how the Lord Jesus Christ (called "the Word") is God, we also read that He is the light of the world:

"In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not." (John 1:4-5)

"That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world." (John 1:9)

Jesus Christ is the light of the world - the one who shows us and is Himself the way, the truth and the life - but there are many people who do not see or understand or want to accept this and they remain in darkness and love the darkness more than the light.

J.C. Ryle comments on this passage as follows:

Christ is to the souls of men what the sun is to the world. He is the centre and source of all spiritual light, warmth, life, health, growth, beauty, and fertility. Like the sun, He shines for the common benefit of all mankind -- for high and for low, for rich and for poor, for Jew and for Greek. Like the sun, He is free to all. All may look at Him, and drink health out of His light. If millions of mankind were mad enough to dwell in caves underground, or to bandage their eyes, their darkness would be their own fault, and not the fault of the sun. So, likewise, if millions of men and women love spiritual "darkness rather than light," the blame must be laid on their blind hearts, and not on Christ. "Their foolish hearts are darkened." (John 3:19; Rom. 1:21) But whether men will see or not, Christ is the true sun, and the light of the world. There is no light for sinners except in the Lord Jesus.
(Source: Expository Thoughts on the Gospels)

In John 8:12, Jesus says,

"I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."

I am so thankful that God opened my eyes of my blind heart so that I can see and know and enjoy Christ as the light of the world. There is nothing better than living in His light and experiencing the joy and peace and love and forgiveness and freedom and guidance that He gives!

Together with the songwriter Tim Hughes, I can say and sing:

Light of the world
You stepped down into darkness
Opened my eyes, let me see
Beauty that made this heart adore You
Hope of a life spent with You

So here I am to worship
Here I am to bow down
Here I am to say that You're my God
And You're altogether lovely
Altogether worthy
Altogether wonderful to me



Do you also have this light? Do you know Jesus Christ as your Saviour? The invitation is open. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, died on the cross for the sins of all who will trust in Him. Come to the light today, repent of your sins and believe in the Lord Jesus!


The whole world was lost
In the darkness of sin,
The Light of the world is Jesus!
Like sunshine at noonday,
His glory shone in.
The Light of the world is Jesus!



Come to the light, ’tis shining for thee;
Sweetly the light has dawned upon me.
Once I was blind, but now I can see:
The Light of the world is Jesus!


No darkness have we
Who in Jesus abide;
The Light of the world is Jesus!
We walk in the light
When we follow our Guide!
The Light of the world is Jesus!



Ye dwellers in darkness
With sin blinded eyes,
The Light of the world is Jesus!
Go, wash, at His bidding,
And light will arise.
The Light of the world is Jesus!


No need of the sunlight
In Heaven we’re told;
The Light of the world is Jesus!
The Lamb is the Light
In the city of gold,
The Light of the world is Jesus!

(Philip P. Bliss)





No comments: