Thursday 17 February 2011

The Lord is my Shepherd

It's one of the most beautiful and most well-known passages in the Bible. A prominent passage in many children's Bibles. A psalm memorised by many children at home, in church or in school. Verses that give hope to those who have lost their way and are looking for guidance and help. Words that have been put to song in many languages and that have become a classic hymn. Truths providing comfort for many who  are mourning and grieving the loss of a loved one. Words of life. Words for life.


Psalm 23

A Psalm of David.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.



As stated in the first verse, the truths of this beautiful psalm apply to those who know the Lord as their Shepherd. However, from the Bible and from our own experience we know that "all we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned every one to his own way" (Isaiah 53:6a). Just like a sheep that leaves its shepherd and is helplessly running into destruction, so our sin of turning away from God has also brought us to the place where we are headed for destruction and are helpless to save ourselves. Our only hope would be for God, our Shepherd, to come looking for us and to save us. This is exactly what God did by sending His Son Jesus Christ. Jesus Himself said that He "is come to seek and to save that which was lost" (Luke 19:10). In order to save us, Christ gave His life for us on the cross. That is why Jesus is called the Good Shepherd: "I am the Good Shepherd, the Good Shepherd giveth his life for the sheep" (John 10:11).

One important question remains: Do you know the Lord Jesus Christ as your Shepherd?

If you do, then the truths of this psalm apply to you.
 
If do not, then you can come to know Him today as your Shepherd. Simply cry out to Jesus and ask Him to save you and give you a heart of faith and repentance. "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Romans 10:13)
 

No comments: