Thursday, 25 August 2011

Mexico in colour

Here are some more photos from my time in Mexico. As you can see, Mexico is quite colourful! However, it is not always this green - only in the rainy season, which is generally only around the month of August...



The photos below are from some beautiful landscapes I was able to see and some dear Tarahumara people I was able to meet. I was also able to become acquainted with and help out a little in the medical clinic and the learning centre in the mountains. Many Tarahumara people have to hike for several hours to get to the clinic where they can receive medical attention. I had my first experience in driving an ambulance to pick up a patient who was unable to walk to the clinic and to take a lady who had been bitten by a rattlesnake to the nearest hospital (about a 5-hour drive away).



It was also a joy for me to see the literacy programme developed my the team and to help a young man who was learning to read. It was a strange experience, because here was me helping this man read his language correctly, and yet I had no idea what the words on the page meant. But because the alphabet and pronunciation is almost like Spanish, I could correct him when he was not pronouncing the words correctly.



But the greatest joy was probably to see and experience the love and care the team members showed to the Tarahumara people. Whether it be taking care of their illnesses, providing food and shelter for them, teaching them how to read and write, or simply spending time with them and taking an interest in their lives, the team put aside their own desires, needs and time schedules and showed the love of Christ to them. My prayer is that the Tarahumara people would not only know they are loved by the team, but that they would also come to know the great love that Jesus has for them.

































This last photo was taken in one of the German-speaking Mennonite areas. The words on the poster are in German and are a quotation of Jesus' words in John 14:6:



Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.



The world needs to know Jesus, the only Saviour and the only way to God the Father. However, for many people today, this message is in a foreign language. I pray that the Tarahumara will soon be able to hear the wonderful message of the gospel in their own language and come to know Christ as their Saviour. And I pray that God would be able to use me somehow to bring this to pass.

No comments: