Thursday, 14 January 2010

Examine yourself

If you are reading this, chances are you call yourself a Christian. (At least many of my friends and those following my blog call themselves Christians.) So if you call yourself a Christian, this blog post is especially for you.

I recently listened to a powerful sermon on Matthew 7 by Paul Washer in which he challenges the reasons many people give for believing that they are Christians. It made me think a lot about how I can tell and know for sure that I really am a Christian.

What reason would you give if someone asked you on what you based your belief of being a Christian?

Paul Washer gave this message to several thousand young people at a youth evangelism conference in 2002. It subsequently became known as the "shocking youth message". It may shock you, too, but I would like to encourage you to listen the whole 1-hour sermon.



If there is no way you will now listen to a whole 1-hour sermon, then at least take a look at this video of the message "in a nutshell" (3 min):



And if you want to know more about the background of this message, take a look at this video (12 min):



2 Corinthians 13:5 says:

Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves...

No comments: